11 Apr 2010

Turn the page, continue reading... (A sparkle)

When King Lear dies in Act 5,
do you know what Shakespeare has written?
He's written, "He dies."
That's all, nothing more.
No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words.
The culmination of the most influential work
of dramatic literature is: "He dies."
It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies."
And yet every time I read those two words,
I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria.
And I know it's only
natural to be sad,
but not because
of the words "He dies,"
but because of the life we saw
prior to the words.
I've lived all five
of my acts, Mahoney,
And I am not asking you to be happy that I must go.
I'm only asking that you
turn the page, continue reading...
and let the next story begin.
And if anyone ever asks
what became of me,
you relate my life
in all its wonder,
and end it with
a simple and modest "He died."

1 comment:

  1. primo...
    los "ratos" (ratas maxo)
    son blancos de ojos rojos
    grandes y pekeños inkietos en su jaula... hace tres meses nacieron en un espacio controlado... algunos en engorda otros con futuras cirrosis, inyectados, estresados, pesados diariamente, con poko oxigeno dia x medio, konocen las manos ke los manipulan... manos inexpertas, manos tensas, apuradas, insidiosas, algunas manos violentas...
    bueno... y el se resfrió... lo aislaron, el dia de la inyección, despues del forzejeo, fue devuelto a su caja... pero no estaba trankilo... dio vueltas corriendo en su pequeño espacio, desesperado se escondio en la viruta, saltó, se revolcó...
    y en 5 segundos... kedo inmovil sobre su viruta

    sus ojos se oscurecieron, y su cuerpo todavia tibio se eliminó en la basura, y su numero se tachó del registro...

    ReplyDelete